Re-imagine Ontario, a charitable organization based in Oakville, Ontario, is seeking dedicated and passionate individuals to join our Homework Squad as Tutors. Tutors will provide academic support, guidance, and mentorship to black and vulnerable youth in the Halton-Peel areas, with a focus on improving their knowledge and understanding of Reading, Science, Technology, and Mathematics.
- Provide one-on-one or small group tutoring sessions to students aged 10-19 years primarily in STEM subjects, including but not limited to mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, and engineering. Help with reading as well.
- Assist students in understanding and completing their homework assignments, projects, and preparing for tests and exams.
- Create a positive and inclusive learning environment that encourages active participation and engagement from students.
- Identify individual student learning needs and tailor tutoring strategies accordingly.
- Develop and implement personalized learning plans based on students’ strengths, weaknesses, and goals.
- Encourage critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity among students through hands-on activities and real-life applications of STEM concepts and reading.
- Foster a supportive and respectful relationship with students, promoting their confidence and self-esteem in their academic abilities.
- Collaborate with other tutors, staff, and volunteers to share best practices, resources, and ideas for enhancing the tutoring program.
- Maintain accurate records of tutoring sessions, including student progress, challenges, and areas for improvement.
- Attend periodic training sessions and staff meetings to enhance tutoring skills and stay updated on program policies and procedures.
- Adhere to the organization’s guidelines, code of conduct, and safeguarding policies to ensure the safety and well-being of the students.
- A genuine passion for STEM education and a commitment to improving the lives of black and vulnerable youth.
- Strong proficiency in STEM subjects, with a focus on mathematics and at least one other field (e.g., physics, chemistry, computer science).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively connect with and engage students from diverse backgrounds.
- Previous tutoring or teaching experience, especially in a one-on-one or small group setting, is preferred.
- Ability to adapt teaching methods to meet the individual needs and learning styles of students.
- Patience, empathy, and the ability to motivate and inspire students.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail for maintaining accurate records and monitoring student progress.
- A reliable and committed attitude towards fulfilling the tutoring schedule and meeting program requirements.
- Flexibility to work during the summer holidays and potentially beyond, subject to availability.
- A vulnerable sector police check, including a clearance for working with children and youth.
How To Apply:
Re-Imagine Ontario strives to build an inclusive workforce that reflects the rich diversity of the communities in which we live and serve. All qualified applicants may apply. We strongly encourage applications from persons with lived experience in the communities we serve within Halton-Peel, including Black and Indigenous people, youth and seniors.
If you are interested in joining Re-imagine Ontario as a Tutor, please submit your resume and a brief cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and why you are interested in this role. Applications can be uploaded through the website or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Homework Tutor Application” in the subject line. We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information about Re-Imagine, please visit our website at www.reimagineontario.ca/opportunities
Note: This is a volunteer position, and no financial compensation will be provided. However, the rewarding experience of making a positive impact on the lives of young individuals in our community is invaluable.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com